Remember my last post about Zoho Mail? Turns out, Zoho Corporation does a lot of other awesome web services – and one of my current favorites from them is the Zoho Notebook. As usual, there’s no catch! It’s 100% free and can be synced to multiple devices for free!
Okay, TBH I wouldn’t be trying this out if it weren’t for Evernote updating its plans and also limiting their free users with 2 synced devices – I understand not everything free lasts forever, but it was just too much and too shocking. I gotta say though, their prices are pretty much okay for those who are in PH. It’s very hard to look for a note-taking app to replace it seriously but..
That aside, while the Notebook does not have all that Evernote offers, it almost covers most of what you need in a much colorful way. Here is a screenshot:
As you can see, the ‘notes’ or what they refer to as ‘cards’ are colorful. You can group them up, and you can make your check list easily just by checking the little check with square around it (bottom right)
You will love their notebook designs as well! They’re original and meticulously chosen. Rather than the boring green, gray and white this is definitely something. Here are some of those designs I liked in particular.
Definitely, Notebook is doing good but still needs a lot of improvement!
I decided to start from scratch with Notebook, rather than waiting for their tool to import Evernote Notes. It is said to be in the works already (importer). However, I started from scratch because I wanted it organized and I have tons of notes in my EN (last time I checked, 1000+ or so!!) Some are pretty much unorganized.
Another thing I noticed is that Notebook still has some obvious bugs, such as when syncing. Syncing is not not smooth yet but it does work.
As seen in my screenshot above there are times that a note appears as blank so you’ll have to go in it and re-edit for it to appear. I contacted them regarding this bug and apparently there’s something going on with their server or something..and I could try re-logging in to have it fixed. I did it but same issue appears in both devices I’ve installed it.
Web App please!
One of the main reasons I liked Evernote is because I can access it almost anywhere, even my old tablet (managed to install it via other market apps)
Although this is something they’re working on so we shouldn’t wait too long, I hope! I’m trying to go online my Mac again recently so I hope it will definitely be available soon. Plus, it’s a pain copying tons of text!
Notebook has the probability of replacing Evernote in your life, but not totally. For me it still lacks the following:
- Web App, Mac App and Windows App
- Reminders/Setting Dates on your Notes
- Handwritten Notes/Pen Notes (notes created with your pen stylus, i.e. for SG Note phones)
- Profile Settings/Account Settings Options (Can’t set a picture for my profile or check my usage data that will display number of notes used, diskspace used etc.)
- Sharing a Note directly via email (I think sharing a Notebook is possible but not an individual note yet. It’d be cooler if it will provide a link they can access, which I guess can only be possible once Web App is available!)
- Grouping notes needs improvement, I’m confused how to access my notes separately after making them as a group.
A couple of bugs I have trouble with:
- As mentioned, with syncing, some notes appear as blank for some reason.
- Sometimes show cards’/notes’ groups incorrectly (ie. displays them in wrong Notebook). Only experienced this once but I remember reading this as an experience of one user on the reviews in the Google Playstore.
Finally, the things I love:
Notebook favorites features!
I’m looking forward to what they still have to offer for us users, and I’m pretty sure they’re working on it very hard. Thanks to them, I am slowly trying to shift from my EN account although not totally yet! I still need it for my past notes.
Well, that’s a wrap!
If you wanna try as well, check out Zoho Notebook now!